Beast Mode & Earl Thomas 1st time nominees for the HOF

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Beast Mode & Earl Thomas 1st time nominees for the HOF

Postby 4XPIPS » Wed Sep 18, 2024 7:22 pm

There are two notable Seahawks that are part of the 16 first time nominees for the HOF. Here is the list below of the 16 1st time nominees.

Quarterback
Eli Manning

Running back
Marshawn Lynch
Darren Sproles

Wide receiver
Demaryius Thomas

Tight end
Vernon Davis
Delanie Walker

Offensive line
Travis Frederick
Ryan Kalil
Joe Staley
Marshal Yanda

Linebacker
Luke Kuechly
Terrell Suggs

Defensive backs
Earl Thomas
Aqib Talib
Antoine Bethea

Kicker
Adam Vinatieri

Anyone can make an argument for most of those to be a 1st ballot hall of famer, or just making the HOF, or why they would never get in, but does Earl and Best Mode make the cut as 1st time ballot, or do they ever get in?
4XPIPS
Legacy

Re: Beast Mode & Earl Thomas 1st time nominees for the HOF

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Sep 19, 2024 1:08 am

Earl probably has the best chance. He was the best member of a legendary, record setting secondary. He made the whole thing work with his incredible speed. Was his career too short? Hard to say.

Marshawn was incredible for about 5 years. If he hadn't the trouble in Buffalo, Marshawn would be closer to the HoF. If he hadn't had the trouble in Buffalo, we wouldn't have picked him up for a 4th round pick. Maybe someday Marshawn gets in the Hall, but Earl is probably the closest to a 1st ballot Hall of Famer.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby River Dog » Thu Sep 19, 2024 4:13 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:Earl probably has the best chance. He was the best member of a legendary, record setting secondary. He made the whole thing work with his incredible speed. Was his career too short? Hard to say.

Marshawn was incredible for about 5 years. If he hadn't the trouble in Buffalo, Marshawn would be closer to the HoF. If he hadn't had the trouble in Buffalo, we wouldn't have picked him up for a 4th round pick. Maybe someday Marshawn gets in the Hall, but Earl is probably the closest to a 1st ballot Hall of Famer.

I agree with this. Earl had a longer, sustained run. He made 7 Pro Bowls in 9 years and was named to the All Decade team. Beast had 5 Pro Bowls, led the league in rushing just twice, and doesn't have any noteworthy career stats. If he gets in, it will be due to his iconic Beast Mode runs.

But I'd love to see Beast's award presentation. I can imagine him jumping off the stage backwards while grabbing his balls.

Other former players that have been nominated include QB Eli Manning, OT Joe Staley, K Adam Vinatieri, C Ryan Kalil, TE Vernon Davis, DE Terrell Suggs, late WR Demaryius Thomas, and QB Tony Romo. Since Romo is a Cowboy, I'd think he'd be a slam dunk.
River Dog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:46 am

I think Marshawn will have a tougher time than others getting into the HoF because of his at times contentious relationship with the press.
They have long memories and the voting is somewhat of a popularity contest so if they look back favorably on a player that player seems to get preferential treatment and vice versa regardless of his accomplishments.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby River Dog » Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:10 am

NorthHawk wrote:I think Marshawn will have a tougher time than others getting into the HoF because of his at times contentious relationship with the press.
They have long memories and the voting is somewhat of a popularity contest so if they look back favorably on a player that player seems to get preferential treatment and vice versa regardless of his accomplishments.

Even if they completely set aside personalities, I don't think Beast has a good enough resume to get in. But you're right, the writers/voters do have a history of holding grudges.

And Earl has his own off field problems that could influence his candidacy. He left here on bad terms and has never reconciled his differences with the Hawks or with Pete, was a disaster in Baltimore, getting cut after a Pro Bowl season and no other team showing interest in him, and since leaving football, had some really nasty personal problems, including being held at gunpoint by his then wife. If they go by strictly football criteria, he's a slam dunk, but it could end up being a situation like Terrell Owens.
River Dog
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Thu Sep 19, 2024 3:06 pm

NorthHawk wrote:I think Marshawn will have a tougher time than others getting into the HoF because of his at times contentious relationship with the press.

I didn't want to say it at first, but I 100% agree with you. I was thinking his distain for post game media was more than someone like Cam Newton. When Cam Newton was doing post game media after a loss he acted like a child and pouted about it. They almost had to force questions in Marshawn's face, and he just refused to comply. Truthfully, after all things we have learned about Marshawn, would you think he would care if he got in as a HOF or not?

When watching the video production the NFL 100 Anniversary for the Superbowl Ad, Peter Berg who directed the video said they were struggling to get Marshawn to even wear a tux because he refused to comply to even do an iconic commercial. If Marshawn doesn't get in, I don't think he would care very much.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby River Dog » Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:38 am

4XPIPS wrote:I didn't want to say it at first, but I 100% agree with you. I was thinking his distain for post game media was more than someone like Cam Newton. When Cam Newton was doing post game media after a loss he acted like a child and pouted about it. They almost had to force questions in Marshawn's face, and he just refused to comply. Truthfully, after all things we have learned about Marshawn, would you think he would care if he got in as a HOF or not?

When watching the video production the NFL 100 Anniversary for the Superbowl Ad, Peter Berg who directed the video said they were struggling to get Marshawn to even wear a tux because he refused to comply to even do an iconic commercial. If Marshawn doesn't get in, I don't think he would care very much.

I think he'd care, but I don't think he'd put up a big stink about it like Terrell Owens did.
River Dog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum