Geno and free agency

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Geno and free agency

Postby trents » Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:16 pm

I just read on ESPN that Geno is a free agent after this year. Didn't realize that. He's 33 years old. Assuming he continues to perform well for the rest of this season, do you think he will command big bucks as a free agent? There are a number of floundering teams in the NFL that are desperate for a quality QB.
trents
Legacy

Re: Geno and free agency

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:24 pm

I'm hoping he gives us a hometown discount of around 3 years at 75 million with maybe some incentives. If he hits the market, some desperate team might give him more. But I feel like he's got a good situation here with the chemistry with Pete, Waldron, and the offensive players and line. He's the old veteran here. He goes somewhere else and he has to learn something new and mesh with the players there. Any hiccups and he's going to get reamed. Whereas here Pete knows him and how to use him, so I'm hoping that is enough to allow us to spend a bit less money to retain a QB who is in a very good situation.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby trents » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:03 pm

How many times have we seen pro athletes have one great year when their contracts are up for renewal?
trents
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:38 pm

Geno doesn't seem like that. The guy been one and two year contracts since he failed in New York. Now he just seems to have an idea of what he is, what he can do, and Pete seems to know how to bring the best out of him. He's not a world beater freak carrying the team like Mahomes. But he's a very solid, consistent performer at this point in his career that can do the job with some kind of decent run game and a good defense. It's better than paying 40 or 50 million a year. It gives us time to draft and develop someone as well. It's a win-win situation if we can get him for a decent price.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby trents » Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:01 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote: It's a win-win situation if we can get him for a decent price.

That is the key. I just hope Pete and John don't mortgage the farm to keep him if desperate teams drive the price up.
trents
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:29 pm

trents wrote:That is the key. I just hope Pete and John don't mortgage the farm to keep him if desperate teams drive the price up.

I think Geno has played great, but you have to try to get a franchise QB for the next 10 years, while you have the picks. Geno is not that guy.
obiken
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:46 pm

Geno won’t give any home town discount and nor should he. It’s his last and biggest grab for the brass rail and he’s
not going to shortchange himself at the end.
How much he’s offered is anybody’s guess at this point but he will surely get more than he’s made his entire career for each year of his contract.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:26 am

NorthHawk wrote:Geno won’t give any home town discount and nor should he. It’s his last and biggest grab for the brass rail and he’s
not going to shortchange himself at the end.
How much he’s offered is anybody’s guess at this point but he will surely get more than he’s made his entire career for each year of his contract.

I don't know that I agree. Pete gave Geno a chance he would have never gotten on another team. He has very good skill players and tackles. He's building something here. He's already earned a lot of money and is doing fine unless he really screwed his money off.

I know everyone likes to say get as much as you can, but I think some players can see a good situation when they have it as long as Pete and John don't lowball him.

After the Russell Wilson trade and contract as well as the Aaron Rodgers contract, seems to me a lot of GMs might be gun shy next year to break the bank open for a guy with one year and three games of high quality play. So we might get a decent deal for Geno next year.

And you're right: the guaranteed money will be a key factor. It does no good to sign a high money contract if they can just cut you after a year if something happens.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:22 am

I don't think you can say it was a chance he wouldn't have gotten with any other team. They all need back ups and starters go down ... it coulda happened somewhere else.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:44 am

c_hawkbob wrote:I don't think you can say it was a chance he wouldn't have gotten with any other team. They all need back ups and starters go down ... it coulda happened somewhere else.

Geno has been on a lot of teams. Seems if it was going to happen somewhere else, it would have happened. In year 9 of a career as a backup playing for Pete Carroll he's found his game. Why risk that going somewhere else for a little more money?

I can see him leaving if we low ball him like we did Golden Tate. But there is zero assurance he'll find a situation like he has in Seattle with a head coach who has gotten the best out of him, two pro bowl receivers, and a team that believes in him.

But this is a minor miracle. I don't know what switch flipped in Geno's head or where he learned, but it sure seems to me that Carroll knows how to get the best out of his QBs. He got a good final year of Matt H. Had Tarvaris Jackson playing some of his best ball. Made an undersized 3rd rounder rook look like a Pro Bowl Hall of Famer. And now taken a QB most of the league had written off as all done and turned him into a Pro Bowl QB who might get some MVP votes.

So I don't know. Maybe Bill B could have done this. But Pete Carroll has a pretty damn good record of making QBs look good dating back to his USC days when he turned out Carson Palmer and even recruited Barkley, Leinart, and Mark Sanchez kid. Neither of them ever looked as good playing for other coaches.

Pete has a great ability to get the best out of players. I don't know if Geno would find it worth it to go to another team and see if he's as good as he looks here or if he ends up looking like Russell Wilson in Denver.
Last edited by Aseahawkfan on Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:45 am

We didn't sign Geno until well into the FA period, so if anyone really wanted him, they had ample opportunity. While I don't think we can say that he wouldn't have had 'any' chance with another team had we not brought him back, the odds of his playing and succeeding with another team were pretty remote.

We also have to keep in mind that Geno was dinged with a DUI back in January (never heard how that turned out), which may have scared off a few potential suitors. Pete stood behind him, so IMO he does owe him if not a hometown discount, a big debt of gratitude.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:56 am

We didn't sign Geno until well into the FA period

Exactly, so it could have been any team that needed a backup, just happened to us. Thank goodness!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:36 am

He hasn't made all that much in his career. I think the total is around $11M.
He should double that at least in per year salary, but I think he's going to ask for as much as he can get and go to any team that offers it. And I don't blame him as he's 33 years old.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:58 am

NorthHawk wrote:He hasn't made all that much in his career. I think the total is around $11M.
He should double that at least in per year salary, but I think he's going to ask for as much as he can get and go to any team that offers it. And I don't blame him as he's 33 years old.

I think he will, and should double that.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:10 am

We didn't sign Geno until well into the FA period

c_hawkbob wrote:Exactly, so it could have been any team that needed a backup, just happened to us. Thank goodness!

My point was that 31 other teams passed on him, so I think it's safe to say that he wouldn't have had an opportunity if we hadn't made the decision to bring him back. I don't think that it 'just happened' to be us. More like we were his one and only choice. IMO Geno owes Pete and John for the confidence they expressed in him.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:15 am

I don't think Geno owes Pete all that much. I think we got lucky with him breaking out in a Seahawks uniform.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:29 am

c_hawkbob wrote:I don't think Geno owes Pete all that much. I think we got lucky with him breaking out in a Seahawks uniform.

He broke out because Russell got traded. Had that trade not happened, Geno would have never gotten the opportunity that he has now. No other team would have given him the chance he got with us, so if anyone is lucky, it's Geno.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby trents » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:14 am

I'm not sure I put much stock in the ideas that Geno will stay in Seattle for less than he might get somewhere else because he knows a good thing with regard to the situation here or out of a sense of gratitude. How often have you seen that happen? When it comes right down to it, money is the deciding factor in all but a few cases. And as others have pointed out, Geno's income from football to this point has been rather modest and he's in the autumn of his career. Not much time left to build a nest egg.
trents
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:30 am

As I said in another post - it will depend upon the guaranteed money.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:32 am

c_hawkbob wrote:I don't think Geno owes Pete all that much. I think we got lucky with him breaking out in a Seahawks uniform.

RiverDog wrote:He broke out because Russell got traded. Had that trade not happened, Geno would have never gotten the opportunity that he has now. No other team would have given him the chance he got with us, so if anyone is lucky, it's Geno.

You could say exactly the same thig about any back up QB that "breaks out". We just disagree.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby tarlhawk » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:39 am

trents wrote:How many times have we seen pro athletes have one great year when their contracts are up for renewal?

Since he signed/was offered only a 1 year contract...its kinda moot to say/compare to an athlete at the end of a drab multi-year contract "come alive" during a renewal year.

Geno is an excellent example of how far self confidence and confidence from your head coach and team can elevate your skills. Drew Lock is not a "bonehead" and if patient he can learn from where Geno was ready to step up and be counted on. Signing both will be a challenge for Schneider as both QB will determine their availability in our future plans. Geno sees what happened when RW left for greener pastures when his relationship with Pete soured....this team has the excellent "keys" to QB support....and Geno knows he has a good thing going here. I can't blame him if he wants to cash in at this point of his career...as a once in a lifetime opportunity...but I'm hoping we somehow sign both to extensions and continue with another excellent drafting opportunity in 2023 to further add solid players on both sides of the trenches.

Onwards and upwards! Go hawks
tarlhawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:42 am

He broke out because Russell got traded. Had that trade not happened, Geno would have never gotten the opportunity that he has now. No other team would have given him the chance he got with us, so if anyone is lucky, it's Geno.[/quote]
If anyone's lucky it was Wilson.

Geno broke out last year completing well over 70% with 5 TDs 1 pick and a rush TD in 13 quarters despite being sacked ONCE PER QUARTER.
He broke out this year because hes a damn good top quality starting qb who busted his ass waiting for his chance. Geno has been very unlucky. Drafted by Rex Ryan, pressed into duty as a rookie. Terrible team. Terrible sophomore year. Broken jaw. released. Sat on the pine for 8 years learning.

I knew the moment he completed a pass to DK to seal a 98 yard drive vs the Rams cold of the bench that guy had been working. He beat out a former 2nd rounder coveted by Schneider and highly praised by Pete. Your Munich people were so sure he would either win or be replacing Geno by game time they only had Lock Murals up game week .
As an aggregate his numbers are #1, top 5 or better in everything . He is actually statistically right up there with Mahomes and Allen ahead in some metrics and slightly behind in others . I heard him described as a fringe MVP candidate again Sunday.
Pete is lucky. I said this offseason after this trade hes getting this year. Without franchise type #s from the QB we might have 3 wins, maybe.

Fans are lucky. I've heard nothing of Genos agent demanding they get something done right now. Asked about it Geno said i dont live my life that way. The time will come, just focused on getting to the playoffs. Asked if his breakout performance while sick could be compared to Michael Jordan's famous flu night he said, no it wasn't nearly as big of a game, Dude is poised, intelligent. real.

The DUI is the turd in the punchbowl and its weird that almost a year later there's no word. Im beginning to think the cops did something wrong and it went away. Its just odd not to have heard anything at all. Pete was asked a copuple wee4ks ago and basically sidestepped it. So lets see. He will probably have to report for jail the night of the NFC title game or something :lol:
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:48 am

And for the last time can we get the details of Genos FA signing correct. It was well into the signing period because GENO HELD OUT. Pete said as much, said" we have a deal on the table and I hope geno takes advantage of the opportunity. "!

Weeks before the signing. So we really dont know if he was weighing something else or just trying to get more money. As I recall he publicly complained about his rating on madden pre season and i was like damn man shut up you aint Mahomes.
He aint bad. Sign him . Keep drew. Draft O line and defense. win superbowl.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:23 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:I'm hoping he gives us a hometown discount of around 3 years at 75 million with maybe some incentives. If he hits the market, some desperate team might give him more. But I feel like he's got a good situation here with the chemistry with Pete, Waldron, and the offensive players and line. He's the old veteran here. He goes somewhere else and he has to learn something new and mesh with the players there. Any hiccups and he's going to get reamed. Whereas here Pete knows him and how to use him, so I'm hoping that is enough to allow us to spend a bit less money to retain a QB who is in a very good situation.

I'm actually thinking three years as well, but I'm going to go 3 years $100 million with 45 guaranteed.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:23 pm

I'm sorry. Geno don't play like he's playing now anywhere else. Pete knows how to get QBs to play very well, not many other coaches in this league do. You are severely underestimating the Pete effect on Geno.

Even Geno himself said "Pete knows how to coach ball." All his players say the same thing.

The guy is turning 5th round picks into Pro Bowl, Borderline Hall of Fame corners. He built an elite defense probably in the top 10 of all time. He gave us our first elite QB. He won a Super Bowl. He brought Marshawn Lynch from sitting on the bench in Buffalo as a lost cause to Beastmode doing commercials all over the place.

Pete is a magic kind of coach that seems to take cast offs and turn them into something great at a rate far better than most coaches I've seen.

Seems to me you are underestimating the Pete effect and more importantly the effect of having two Pro Bowl receivers.

Geno is going to way more than double 11 million a year. Geno will get 25 plus million a year for about 3 years on the basis of this year in my opinion at a minimum. He might end up with more than 30. We will see. It's not going to be a tiny contract. The dude is a top 5 QB this year and might get an MVP vote given the new system.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby trents » Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:13 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:I'm sorry. Geno don't play like he's playing now anywhere else. Pete knows how to get QBs to play very well, not many other coaches in this league do. You are severely underestimating the Pete effect on Geno.

Even Geno himself said "Pete knows how to coach ball." All his players say the same thing.

The guy is turning 5th round picks into Pro Bowl, Borderline Hall of Fame corners. He built an elite defense probably in the top 10 of all time. He gave us our first elite QB. He won a Super Bowl. He brought Marshawn Lynch from sitting on the bench in Buffalo as a lost cause to Beastmode doing commercials all over the place.

Pete is a magic kind of coach that seems to take cast offs and turn them into something great at a rate far better than most coaches I've seen.

Seems to me you are underestimating the Pete effect and more importantly the effect of having two Pro Bowl receivers.

Geno is going to way more than double 11 million a year. Geno will get 25 plus million a year for about 3 years on the basis of this year in my opinion at a minimum. He might end up with more than 30. We will see. It's not going to be a tiny contract. The dude is a top 5 QB this year and might get an MVP vote given the new system.

Aseahawkfan, get a grip man! Geno ain't yet a HOF candidate and I would not put Pete in the same class as Bill B, Shula or Vince L. Your fanboy is out of control!
trents
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:30 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:I'm sorry. Geno don't play like he's playing now anywhere else. Pete knows how to get QBs to play very well, not many other coaches in this league do. You are severely underestimating the Pete effect on Geno.

Well, I'm not going to blow Pete all the kisses that you have, but I agree completely that Geno owes him big time. There are only 32 starting quarterback positions in this league with the vast majority of them spoken for going into the 2022 season. I can't even think of a team that would have given Geno even a second thought to starting, knowing what they did prior to the season.

Pete and the Seahawks were the only team with that kind of opportunity. Had Pete not brought him back, the best Geno could have hoped for would have been to catch on as a #2 or #3 on the depth chart somewhere, which itself would have been a challenge, then lucking out by being at the right place at the right time when the starter got injured like what happened with Brock Purdy with the Niners, and even then, he would not have been familiar with the coaches and players and may not have played as well as he has here.

I'm sure that we'll make a healthy offer to bring him back next season as even if we draft a rookie QB in the first round, he likely won't be ready to start right off the bat and it would be a nice situation to be in having a veteran for a rookie to learn from rather than being thrown to the wolves.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:03 pm

RiverDog wrote:Well, I'm not going to blow Pete all the kisses that you have, but I agree completely that Geno owes him big time. There are only 32 starting quarterback positions in this league with the vast majority of them spoken for going into the 2022 season. I can't even think of a team that would have given Geno even a second thought to starting, knowing what they did prior to the season.

Pete and the Seahawks were the only team with that kind of opportunity. Had Pete not brought him back, the best Geno could have hoped for would have been to catch on as a #2 or #3 on the depth chart somewhere, which itself would have been a challenge, then lucking out by being at the right place at the right time when the starter got injured like what happened with Brock Purdy with the Niners, and even then, he would not have been familiar with the coaches and players and may not have played as well as he has here.

I'm sure that we'll make a healthy offer to bring him back next season as even if we draft a rookie QB in the first round, he likely won't be ready to start right off the bat and it would be a nice situation to be in having a veteran for a rookie to learn from rather than being thrown to the wolves.

Not sure how you equate this to anything other than Pete. He has a long track record of getting great performances from his QBs. So it's about as much of a fact as any other football statistic. Pete has a knack for managing QBs and getting great performances out of them, players in general dating back to his college days where players he recruited ended up as 1st round picks.

Doesn't mean he doesn't miss on occasion or other coaches can't do something similar. But the group of coaches that can is part of a small, elite club. So I doubt Geno does as well anywhere else other than maybe New England, Baltimore, or KC where the handful of other great coaches reside.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:28 pm

Flash back to pre-season and the end of TC.
Pete was trying to give Lock a solid chance to become the starter. He believed so much in Geno that he never said Geno won the competition but rather said the competition continues. So it sounds like Pete wasn’t sure about Geno, either.
It’s a testament to Geno that when the big lights turned on, he really performed but his starting spot was at first in doubt.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:55 pm

I think both Pete and Geno are responsible for Genos development and certain aspects of his success are because hes a highly underrated athlete with an extremely underrated arm. He lives in the film room and eating barbells in the gym every day.
But I agree with your point 100% and have said it myself a hundred times. Pete has been considered a defensive genius but hes a far better QB whisperer than he gets credit for. And unlike Reid with a top draft pick hes found his in the garbage bin.
3rd round runt for 10 record setting years then straight out of the dumpster behind the lucky break tavern for a 33 year old never was.

You can't give Geno comeback player of the year. Come back from what? Sucking your entire mostly benched career?
Pete saw something.He kept him around 4 seasons before he got his chance. Both were lucky.

I still dont think Geno is gonna give us some huge discount from spotrac which is around 33 mil per.He held out on a 3.5 mil deal 9 months ago :D . Hes 33 but low mileage, the lowest mileage 33 year old with this kind of talent in the league. Hes had one major injury, an acl while training after his jets release 8 years ago . I'd give him 3 years at least on paper at that number if he will take it.

If he gets too crazy you decide on a franchise designation or letting him go and starting Lock. Don't get me wrong. I love watching Geno Smith run this offense. Its fun to watch. However.....

Drew Lock, the forgotten man. If Pete could make it work 10 years with Russ and help Geno play like this why not? He constantly praised Drews "swag moments " in practice, said hes "nipping at genos heels". He's a more dynamic athlete than Geno in many ways.I dont think anything's happening before seasons end or at least locking up playoffs or something but Geno is betting on himself letting it ride. Long stretch but let's say we get to the divisional, maybe win it for the first time in 8 years. 30 million is out the window and everyone is interested in that case. Fascinating year. Its a great situation here. Dont forget about that third guy from the trade . Hes getting coached by the great QB guru Pete Carroll now.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:59 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:Not sure how you equate this to anything other than Pete. He has a long track record of getting great performances from his QBs. So it's about as much of a fact as any other football statistic. Pete has a knack for managing QBs and getting great performances out of them, players in general dating back to his college days where players he recruited ended up as 1st round picks.

Doesn't mean he doesn't miss on occasion or other coaches can't do something similar. But the group of coaches that can is part of a small, elite club. So I doubt Geno does as well anywhere else other than maybe New England, Baltimore, or KC where the handful of other great coaches reside.

I'm not interested in debating Pete's HOF credentials, but just out of curiosity, besides Russell, which QB's is it that Pete has gotten so much out of? Tavaris Jackson? Matt Hasselbeck? Drew Bledsoe? I don't remember great seasons out of any of those guys during Pete's tutelage. I'm not sure that college quarterbacking is equal to that in the pros, but if it is, anything they learned from Pete sure didn't carry them very far into the NFL (Matt Leinart and Carson Palmer? Really?).

I doubt that we have an opportunity to settle the question about Geno's viability with a team other than the Seahawks as I suspect that we make him a solid offer and doubt that another team is interested in getting into a bidding contest for a 32 year old QB that had one good season. But we'll see. Who knows, maybe Geno will go on to win the MVP and SB MVP.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:02 pm

NorthHawk wrote:Flash back to pre-season and the end of TC.
Pete was trying to give Lock a solid chance to become the starter. He believed so much in Geno that he never said Geno won the competition but rather said the competition continues. So it sounds like Pete wasn’t sure about Geno, either.
It’s a testament to Geno that when the big lights turned on, he really performed but his starting spot was at first in doubt.

The insiders say it really never was much of a competition as Geno was so much more ready with 13 quarters last year and 4 years in the organization. Getting corona didn't help. I personally recall people griping about Genos 58 % completion preseason as ball after ball bounced off receivers hands. Hers playing at a franchise level now.
Pete still talks up Drew , says he looks great in practice. Not a quote but to the effect" If he had to come in he would be ready". Don't want him coming in for the wrong reason but maybe if Geno has to tie his shoe or something." Pete believes in Lock and would not hesitate to bring him in if Geno fell off.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:06 pm

trents wrote:Aseahawkfan, get a grip man! Geno ain't yet a HOF candidate and I would not put Pete in the same class as Bill B, Shula or Vince L. Your fanboy is out of control!

BB is in his own category. Pete's surefire maybe 1st ballot after this flip is over.Right up there. A great coach. And he didn't say Genos hall of fame caliber. he said our corners were.

But we have a great coach. After watching some of these wonder boys this year I'm all for Pete hanging around a few more years.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:21 pm

RiverDog wrote:
I'm not interested in debating Pete's HOF credentials, but just out of curiosity, besides Russell, which QB's is it that Pete has gotten so much out of? Tavaris Jackson? Matt Hasselbeck? Drew Bledsoe? I don't remember great seasons out of any of those guys during Pete's tutelage. I'm not sure that college quarterbacking is equal to that in the pros, but if it is, anything they learned from Pete sure didn't carry them very far into the NFL (Matt Leinart and Carson Palmer? Really?).

I doubt that we have an opportunity to settle the question about Geno's viability with a team other than the Seahawks as I suspect that we make him a solid offer and doubt that another team is interested in getting into a bidding contest for a 32 year old QB that had one good season. But we'll see. Who knows, maybe Geno will go on to win the MVP and SB MVP.

Hes got a better chance than Russ. You doubted he'd do a damn thing.

Pete won a playoff game with a backup in NE. I love how you circle back to the one year of TJack, 7-9, could have been 9-7, guy playing hurt.Tjack Tjack Tjack.
TEAM WON A TOTAL OF 9 GAMES THE 2 YEARS BEFORE HE GOT THERE. He won a game to get to the postseason with Charlie Whitehurst his first year. He knocked off everyone's favorite unemployed coach Payton and his HOF QB and defending Super Bowl champions in beast quake with a worn out broken down Hasslebeck, one of the most thrilling wins in Seahawks history. Coached Paytons ass right back to NO. But then you minimize the short guy he drafted in the third round along with all the LOB guys and had for 10 years. Did he need to be going though QBs like underwear to be a guru? :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Borderline hall of fame till he left for the boy wonder who had been coaching Arod and fell off a cliff. Which makes my point even more.Like his college superstars who flamed out. Didn't get drafted by him. He probably knew better.
Now Geno playing at a pro bowl level for 15 games now.
Get real. man it must suck to be so wrong and just be unable to say "I was wrong" You should be thanking your lucky stars happy to be wrong.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:27 pm

RiverDog wrote:I'm not interested in debating Pete's HOF credentials, but just out of curiosity, besides Russell, which QB's is it that Pete has gotten so much out of? Tavaris Jackson? Matt Hasselbeck? Drew Bledsoe? I don't remember great seasons out of any of those guys during Pete's tutelage. I'm not sure that college quarterbacking is equal to that in the pros, but if it is, anything they learned from Pete sure didn't carry them very far into the NFL (Matt Leinart and Carson Palmer? Really?).

His USC QBs who were all drafted fairly high. Carson Palmer was the number one overall pick. Matt Leinart was pick 10. Mark Sanchez was the 5th overall pick. The goal in college is to make the QB look good enough to be highly drafted and he accomplished that.

Pete built up Russell Wilson. He got good production from Tarvaris. It was his best year as a QB. Now he's getting amazing production from Geno.

I would say that's a pretty great history of QB development and use.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:33 pm

trents wrote:Aseahawkfan, get a grip man! Geno ain't yet a HOF candidate and I would not put Pete in the same class as Bill B, Shula or Vince L. Your fanboy is out of control!

Pete isn't Bill B. Bill B is in a class by himself.

Pete is in that tier under with coaches like Andy Reid and John Harbaugh. They can get a lot out of players no one expects them to do much with.

I doubt many coaches could get out of Geno what Pete is getting out of Geno. So this idea we got "lucky" is not how I see it. I think Pete has built some good skill players in Seattle. He took an old veteran backup, put him in a good situation, and now he's producing at a high level. Pete has developed some of Seattle's best players in history. He's certainly built the best Seattle team we've ever had.

This idea Geno would be doing what he's doing anywhere isn't true and likely won't be true. Fact is Geno had a real good set up here with two high performing receivers and a coach that knows how to put a QB in a position to succeed if they have any ability to do so.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:38 pm

Hawktawk wrote:BB is in his own category. Pete's surefire maybe 1st ballot after this flip is over.Right up there. A great coach. And he didn't say Genos hall of fame caliber. he said our corners were.

But we have a great coach. After watching some of these wonder boys this year I'm all for Pete hanging around a few more years.

Pete has to win another Super Bowl to be first ballot. But I do think he'll get in eventually given he is one of the best of his era. Pete has a Super Bowl and a 2nd trip. He built an elite defense for the ages. That one Super Bowl win was Seattle taking Peyton Manning during a career year and rag dolling him like he was some chump.

Pete was a few injuries away from making Brady look weak and beating New England by the widest margin in their history. But Brady and Bill B got some lucky injuries when Cliff Avril went down and whoever that CB I've blocked from mind was in smelled blood and got back in the game.

Pete was a yard and a bad call away from back to back to Super Bowls against two of the best QBs to ever play the game, not flukey chumps.

Pete's an absolutely great coach. One of the best of his era.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:08 pm

I agree about first ballot . He needs another . Don’t want to get into 49 right now. Not likely they win one this year but not impossible . With all the draft capital next year could be a distinct possibility . It’s amazing . This last year has been remarkable .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby trents » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:30 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:Pete is in that tier under with coaches like Andy Reid and John Harbaugh. They can get a lot out of players no one expects them to do much with.

Yeah, Andy Reid doesn't have much talent over there now in KC, does he? I mean, Mahomes, Kelce and Ju Ju Smith are just bums I guess, and Kareem Hunt when he was there.
Last edited by trents on Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
trents
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:55 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:Pete is in that tier under with coaches like Andy Reid and John Harbaugh. They can get a lot out of players no one expects them to do much with.

Yeah, Andy Reid doesn't have much talent over there now in KC, does he? I mean, Mahomes, Kelce and Ju Ju Smith are just bumbs I guess, and Kareem Hunt when he was there.[/quote]

Reid got to 4 NFC title games with Donovan McNabb in the brutal NFC East , also a superbowl but he couldn't help McNabb down the stretch in the super bowl as he was so fat and out of shape he was puking on the field on what would have been a game winning drive. TO who was playing on a broken ankle courtesy of a horse collar tackle vs the Cowboys a few weeks earlier was not impressed.
But Reid doing that with McNabb who is no hall of fame guy was not too bad.

Reid was fired for Chip Kelly and moved west "washed up" and won for several years with Alex Smith, playoff teams, one a whisker from the AFC Championship game.
Since starting Mahomes who he sat for a year to learn its been AFC title Game, Lombardi, lose SB. Afc title game. They look good again this year despite parting with Tyreek Hill. Top 3 team

I dont know what it is with you guys. We have this coach who can identify talent as well as anyone , coach them up, win the second most games of the decade and now seemingly flip the team in one offseason. Not done but a contending team in week 13. When another coach such as Reid gets mentioned as another example its time to attack that statement. I haver Reid a peg ahead of pete, pete a couple ahead of Harbaugh but all great coaches. Pete is the very best at getting the most out of guys all up and down the roster. We have a great coach. An excellent top 5 qb off the scrap heap. Its not a fantasy. Its what we have. Be glad or be sad but its a fact.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum