Atlanta

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Atlanta

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:30 pm

Ok fellow shack dwellers how do you see this matchup? Ryan has been a playoff choke artist but we were fortunate to beat them in Seattle with a healthy defense. It was only a ball bouncing off an open jones and being picked that gave us a shot at all. Frankly it was a stupid decision by them to throw in that situation .

We return to the scene of the Waterloo of the 2012 season. I can't say I have a gut instinct of how this will go but I'm cautiously optimistic.

I see a quick start on offense as critical. I hope they continue to pound the rock and quit trying to be cute . Defensively we will not stop this team many times on the back end if Ryan stays vertical.

Pick your poison but I want the front 7 hunting for 4 quarters with blitzes scattered in. Send Terrell once he can't cover anyway .
No mistakes or turnovers .

And for crying out loud can we see the Steven hauchka we used to see wtf?
Your thoughts?
Hawktawk
Legacy

Re: Atlanta

Postby Rambo2014 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:43 pm

Better hope you dont ever play GB this season. They are schooling the Giants and will do the same to Dallas and Sea if you luck out at Atlanta
Rambo2014
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:59 pm

Better hope you dont ever play GB this season. They are schooling the Giants and will do the same to Dallas and Sea if you luck out at Atlanta

Never been a better example of the different mentalities of a dominant, Superbowl quality team fans, and one who's team is pretty damn awful, who's only joy is rooting against a team with those qualities.

Quality teams, and their fans like their chances against anyone, anywhere. Losing teams fans dread every game, every where.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby depaashaas » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:33 pm

Hawktawk wrote:Ok fellow shack dwellers how do you see this matchup? Ryan has been a playoff choke artist but we were fortunate to beat them in Seattle with a healthy defense. It was only a ball bouncing off an open jones and being picked that gave us a shot at all. Frankly it was a stupid decision by them to throw in that situation .

We return to the scene of the Waterloo of the 2012 season. I can't say I have a gut instinct of how this will go but I'm cautiously optimistic.

I see a quick start on offense as critical. I hope they continue to pound the rock and quit trying to be cute . Defensively we will not stop this team many times on the back end if Ryan stays vertical.

Pick your poison but I want the front 7 hunting for 4 quarters with blitzes scattered in. Send Terrell once he can't cover anyway .

Your thoughts?

The first time we played them this season, Wilson was wearing a knee brace had both ankles taped up so heavy that even Mr. T raised an eyebrow and was thinking to himself "dang that's a lot of duct tape". If we get same Rawls (who we did not have that game) as yesterday and it looks like Prosise may play next week, I like our chances.
depaashaas
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:52 pm

Sure we could beat them, their defense is not all that hot. However, we barely won at the Clink, there? OK I show faith Human, 28-24 Hawks.
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:16 pm

depaashaas wrote:The first time we played them this season, Wilson was wearing a knee brace had both ankles taped up so heavy that even Mr. T raised an eyebrow and was thinking to himself "dang that's a lot of duct tape". If we get same Rawls (who we did not have that game) as yesterday and it looks like Prosise may play next week, I like our chances.

Good points.

But we haven't put together two straight good outings for a long time, and for the most part, we've really sucked on the road. I don't like our chances enough to bet even money on the outcome, but that won't stop me from getting amped up.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:26 pm

Yeah Russ is healthy and prosise may return. I love the guy but I worry Bevell will get ensmored with his new toy. I don't expect a loss. I won't predict a win . If they play like in New England they will win.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:41 pm

The Seahawks are fully capable of beating Atlanta this Saturday. Atlanta gives up most of what the offense puts up - plus they did not have the toughest of schedules this year:

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/statistics.html

Our Defense was only on the field 23 minutes yesterday so they should be feeling better this week. The game starts at a good west coast 1:35 pm time. I see two Keys here:

1. Have numerous Blitz packages ready to be dialed up - Linebacker, safety, Cornerbacks - Bring them all at different times cause Matty will eat us or any NFL team alive if he gets past that 3.5 Seconds to throw.

2. HC said on another thread what I fear - that our offense will come out 85% Pass to run ratio because everybody will be expecting the Hawks to come out running so Bevell will develop a cute game plan. Pete needs to be sure that he gets in Bevell's ear that there is to be no cuteness - run the damm ball straight from the opening kickoff.
Last edited by savvyman on Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby depaashaas » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:49 pm

[quote="RiverDog"

Good points.

But we haven't put together two straight good outings for a long time, and for the most part, we've really sucked on the road. I don't like our chances enough to bet even money on the outcome, but that won't stop me from getting amped up.[/quote]

True that we where not that good on the road so far this season but the falcons are 5-3 at home in a dome on a field that that uses same fieldturf as Centurylink. Hope i did not just jinx anything there
depaashaas
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:54 pm

Russ is better in domes on a quick rug without weather . I'm optimistic about that . And isn't it amazing what happens to the time of posession when you pound the rock?
We can do this
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:00 pm

Hawks 4.5 point dogs. Hardly predicting a blowout in Vegas.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:09 pm

Rambo2014 wrote:Better hope you dont ever play GB this season. They are schooling the Giants and will do the same to Dallas and Sea if you luck out at Atlanta

If playing GB means we're playing at home vs at Dallas. I'll take those odds against any team. Bring on the Packers! My wife says if we get there, we're putting up the $$$ and flying in for the game! Now I really have something to root for next week.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:45 pm

Oh that's right we would have the home-field. AR could easily beat us in Seattle but maybe not.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Oly » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:01 pm

I think this game depends on Kris Richard. In the first game, Quinn had some great route combinations that messed up the Hawks' coverage schemes. This time, with ETIII out, that's even scarier, because his instincts could overcome some of that confusion in the secondary.

If Richard coaches the secondary up so that the coverages don't get so screwed up, then I think the Hawks win by keeping the Falcons on the sideline. But that will be tough, because Quinn is really good, because ETIII is gone, and because Lane hasn't been playing all that consistently this season.

I'm not all that worried about the Hawks on offense. I think they put up 17-23 points or so, whether from a good run game (I hope) or because RW takes over when the run game falters (this is the heart-attack win scenario the Hawks seem to specialize in). But if the Falcons' receivers are running free in the secondary, none of that will matter.
Oly
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:22 pm

I really have no clue what will happen. IMHO, Matt Ryan should get the League MVP and he is not the choke artist in the playoffs that people think he is. More so, he didn't have the weapons and coaching needed. Now, with DQ a great ground game AND Ju-Jo; I see them as a serious threat to win it all. I do think the Hawks can beat them if they control the clock better than they have in any away game all year. I can see this one going either way, really. Hope we win but it is unlikely to be a blowout either way.

I'll go Hawks 27 Falcons 24. GO HAWKS
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:42 pm

I don't really like or dislike the matchup in any way. I will say this, redemption is the greatest feeling and Wilson is the type of person that would be craving the feeling of redemption. I don't know how it will go, but I have a good feeling we pull this one off. I expect Wilson to have a big game, I think our defense might struggle a little bit. Hopefully this posts, most of my posts have timed out lately.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:54 pm

I take heart that all the Seahawks pass rushers are healthy. The last time these teams met in the playoffs, the Seahawks were derailed by an injury to Chris Clemons the week before with not a single player available to pick up the slack. This time, the front seven needs to make Matt Ryan as uncomfortable as possible.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:14 pm

Don't even want to think about the last time we met in the playoffs. How bad we played in the first half, how the first half ended. How the game ended....It was on my birthday too, ruined the day for me, I just went to sleep after the game LOL. I was too pissed to meet up with friends, let alone celebrate anything. This year the game is not on my birthday, but still hoping the hawks give me reason to celebrate.
I really think they get it done, but it's gonna be a tough game. Atlanta has a lot of offensive weapons. Our offense better really bring it.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:03 pm

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:I take heart that all the Seahawks pass rushers are healthy. The last time these teams met in the playoffs, the Seahawks were derailed by an injury to Chris Clemons the week before with not a single player available to pick up the slack. This time, the front seven needs to make Matt Ryan as uncomfortable as possible.

Yea, we tried to put Bruce Irvin into the spot vacated by the injury to Clemons and it turned out horribly.

I'm like Sis. I haven't a clue what to expect. This is not a game I'd want to bet on. I can quite easily envision a blow out either way.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:20 pm

They aren't blowing seattle out. They went 5-3 at home and almost shart up a huge lead to the Saints as well.
We can do this. In 2012 Russ roared back from 28 down in the second half to almost complete one if the greatest playoff comebacks in history. His 377 yards passing broke by 50 yards an NFL record for a rookie in a playoff game that had been standing since 1937. I'm remembering the look of complete anger on his face when the D gave it up.

We can get this done .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:21 am

We have a little momentum going in with the WC win...but to say we need to step it up is an understatement.

While Atlanta still merits some skepticism based on recent history, the Falcons are also no joke.
They cleared one hurdle by not imploding to close the season, and Matt Ryan may finally be ready to embrace the pressure he's facing Saturday.

Speaking of pressure, that's all on them. If anything feels like a must win to take the next step, this is it. The Vegas line is interesting, but makes some sense that the Falcons would be favored by more than a FG. Doesn't look like the public was impressed by our win Saturday, nor should they be, really. Naturally, I'll take the points:)
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:00 am

EmeraldBullet wrote:Don't even want to think about the last time we met in the playoffs. How bad we played in the first half, how the first half ended. How the game ended....It was on my birthday too, ruined the day for me, I just went to sleep after the game LOL. I was too pissed to meet up with friends, let alone celebrate anything. This year the game is not on my birthday, but still hoping the hawks give me reason to celebrate.
I really think they get it done, but it's gonna be a tough game. Atlanta has a lot of offensive weapons. Our offense better really bring it.

I hear you, Emerald; I watched that struggle first hand. As much of a blast as it was to watch the Seahawks fight their way back, it was a huge let down to see them give up the field goal. The prevent defense call was troubling, but I don't know what else they could have done with no proven pass rushers. I honestly think Matt Ryan would have got them in field goal range whether the Seahawks blitzed or hung back. I think it will be a very different story this time around. I'll be in the stands again, and I'm anxious to see what the Seahawks bring to the table this go around. One thing I will say is Carroll better take the FG's when he has the chance to get them early. A failed 4th and 1 the last time they faced the Falcons instead of a FG may have required the Falcons to score a TD instead. Last season, another 4th down conversion meant Seattle needed one more possession to draw even with the Panthers in the second half. Maybe that's too play-it-safe, but it sure is disheartening to see them turn down those points.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:29 pm

I think the key to the game has less to do with Atlanta's offense, and more to do with how well our O-line can give Rawls room to run. If they can do that, our passing game will follow, and I think the defense can handle them. They will get their share of explosive plays, it's a matter of limiting them, and keeping them out of the end zone, which we're still quite efficient at.
I-5
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:52 pm

Yep, like I said, run, run, run the ball and run the ball again...
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:26 pm

We also have to stop freeman from catching the short passes out of the backfield, Atlanta's offense in some ways reminds me of the patriots with how often they use the little check passes, and then throw deep.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:28 pm

Hawktawk wrote:Ok fellow shack dwellers how do you see this matchup? Ryan has been a playoff choke artist but we were fortunate to beat them in Seattle with a healthy defense. It was only a ball bouncing off an open jones and being picked that gave us a shot at all. Frankly it was a stupid decision by them to throw in that situation .

Your thoughts?

FYI we were not healthy on defense when we played them earlier in the year we had no Kam no Clark and Bennett got hurt in the game. Add tot hat Rw was still dealing with many injuries and no rawls
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Oly » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:25 pm

Your thoughts?

I've seen these Hawks win in Foxboro and crush the Panthers, and lose at home to the Cards and embarrass themselves against the Pack and Bucs. Earlier, I said that I think it comes down to the secondary having and executing a good game plan, and I still do. I just wouldn't be surprised if they succeed and limit the Falcons to 13 points or if they failed and gave up 42. These Hawks never seem to play the game I think they will, so I've largely quit trying to guess.

Go Hawks!
Oly
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:09 pm

Getting more excited about this game. Both teams are extremely healthy. Reece and McDaniel are in, and Prosise practiced all week and in full today. Hoping he makes it on to the field. If he practiced fully, what exactly would keep him out? The Falcons have no one on the injury report. No excuses for anybody in this one.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:13 pm

I read that Procise is doubtful.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:16 pm

He is, but he did practice fully today (Seahawks.com). They'll decide at game time. I'm definitely ignorant about what keeps a player out of a game but lets him practice fully at the end of the week.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:27 am

Prosise upgraded to questionable. He's going to play most likely.

So let's update. Seattle players not available last game who are suiting up. Kam, Rawls , Clark , Prosise , Bennett half the game . Wilsons wheels. Seattle players out. ET and lockette. Wild card Hester comes home.
Atlanta no players none who missed last game. Julio jones nursing turf toe. Beasley has a shoulder injury. Probably biggest Desmond trufant OUT.

Yet everyone is riding Atlantas jock.
A year ago Seattle fell behind 31 zip in a shaggy mudhole to a 15-1 team with a filthy defense and physical offense and won the second half 24 zip just short of an amazing comeback.
Now they are on a fast rug against a finesse rhythm offense and a defense that surrenders 4.5 ypc.
What am I missing ?
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:23 am

Hawktawk wrote:Prosise upgraded to questionable. He's going to play most likely.

So let's update. Seattle players not available last game who are suiting up. Kam, Rawls , Clark , Prosise , Bennett half the game . Wilsons wheels. Seattle players out. ET and lockette. Wild card Hester comes home.
Atlanta no players none who missed last game. Julio jones nursing turf toe. Beasley has a shoulder injury. Probably biggest Desmond trufant OUT.

Yet everyone is riding Atlantas jock.
A year ago Seattle fell behind 31 zip in a shaggy mudhole to a 15-1 team with a filthy defense and physical offense and won the second half 24 zip just short of an amazing comeback.
Now they are on a fast rug against a finesse rhythm offense and a defense that surrenders 4.5 ypc.
What am I missing ?

What you are missing is that the game is being played in Atlanta. Despite what is arguably the biggest HFA in the league, we prevailed by just 2 points in our previous contest, and we are a lot less intimidating on the road than we are at home, going just 3-4-1. Plus we've had this maddening tendency to have a very good game, like against Carolina, followed by a face plant, like the Packers. We had a lot of difficulty putting away a very weak opponent in our last road game vs. the Niners. A few weeks earlier, the Falcons beat them by 4 TD's.

Our post Thanksgiving playoff stretch run was supposedly the easiest in the league, yet we went just 3-3. Meanwhile, the Falcons went 5-1 against many of the same opponents as we faced, with their only loss during their stretch run being an improbable one against the 2nd best team in the AFC. They are 9-2 against the same opponents that we went 4-5-1 against. And they've had a week to rest, which most coaches feel is an advantage.

There's a lot of ways we can look at this contest. I'm not at all confident in the outcome.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:50 am

I feel more confident all the time.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Rambo2014 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:23 am

Have the Seahawks beat a NFC South team at home lately? Not!

Case Closed
Rambo2014
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:48 am

Russ will need to have a stellar game to win in Atlanta. Seahawks 27 Falcons 26.
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:16 am

After reading the case for Ryan to be the MVP this year, it makes me a little worried. The guy has been lights out this year, to all of his WR, and especially the deep ball. Worse yet, he actually preformed better while pressured by the DL. Our secondary is gonna have to really pay well and our offense is gonna have to control the ball, clock, and score often. I think we are capable of winning this game, but it wont be easy if Ryan is as good as he was during the regular season.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:42 am

Ryan is 1-4 postseason and really should be 0-5.his only win was 5 years ago .Russell is 7-3 and 14 points total from being undefeated

Can you say gorrilla on your back? Their hot rod offense hasn't turned a wheel in 2 weeks.
That can cut two ways . Seattle is picked to lose by everyone so all the pressure is on Atlanta.
We held a 17-3 lead in the first meeting . The most veteran successful Nfc team the past 5 years is playing pressure free on a rug with no weather elements to deal with. The last 10 super bowl winners were a collective 21-19 in their last 4 regular season games. We may have Prosise who led in rushing AND RECIEVING vs the patriots.
It reminds me of Super Bowl 48 matchup wise
Bring it on.
We might beat them soundly or maybe not but we're going to be in the game with a chance at a minimum.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum