Geno in review

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Geno in review

Postby Stream Hawk » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:28 pm

To sum up Geno Smith. He is not a clutch quarterback. 0-2 clutch moments this year. Not clutch last year. That’s what we need in our dinosaur coach’s scheme.
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:07 pm

Stream Hawk wrote:To sum up Geno Smith. He is not a clutch quarterback. 0-2 clutch moments this year. Not clutch last year. That’s what we need in our dinosaur coach’s scheme.

It was almost an exact repeat of the game against the Broncos. Geno and our offense look great in the first half then get shut down in the 2nd, giving up sacks at critical moments and unable to score points. In the 2nd half of our first three games, we have yet to hit paydirt and have scored just 3 measly points.

And please, Hawktawk, no more hype about Geno and his completion percentage. We don't get any points for completion percentages.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:08 pm

Stream Hawk wrote:To sum up Geno Smith. He is not a clutch quarterback. 0-2 clutch moments this year. Not clutch last year. That’s what we need in our dinosaur coach’s scheme.

No we need a QB that has a QBR rating of more than 77, he is a good backup thats all SH. The problem is when we lose to the Lions next week, and we will lose to the Lions, the cries to put in Drew Lock will get louder, then things will really go South.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:12 pm

Geno is doing what backups do. Just the rest of our team isn't good enough to make that work.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:08 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:Geno is doing what backups do. Just the rest of our team isn't good enough to make that work.

Okay, we can both agree on that one.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:29 pm

Whatever . Today sucked . Front to back . Happy Fing birthday . And yeah it’s all Genos fault . F it.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:31 pm

Hawktawk wrote:Whatever . Today sucked . Front to back . Happy Fing birthday . And yeah it’s all Genos fault . F it.

Ha!!
mykc14
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:55 pm

Hawktawk wrote:Whatever . Today sucked . Front to back . Happy Fing birthday . And yeah it’s all Genos fault . F it.

Wow is HT losing it or what! He is finally realizing the war is lost and there is no Steiner Army!!
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:40 am

Geno didn't play badly at all, at least not for the majority of the game. The problem is that he and everyone else on our team do an el foldo when the game is on the line.

And Happy Birthday anyway. BTW, my dad's birthday was on Sept. 25th, too, so you're in good company.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:14 am

Gweno completed 35-44 for 325 yards and 2 TDs and a desperation heave pick at the end. .99 rating .

The team may el foldo but that was more offense than the entire night game. First 300 plus passing game as a Seahawk. Threw some beautiful passes despite poor protection once again.
Its old listening to people hammer on Geno. You're the QB, fine, it comes with the territory.
Geno played well enough to win the game on most football teams. It wasn't surprising the run game was better and so Geno was much better. Hes hardly been the biggest problem. Our last drive we were screwed by quick tacky tack flags again robbing us of big plays. Coach chose to kick on 4th and 2 from the 8 after going on 4th and 2 from the 42 on the same drive. Who knows, its a broken record. its not enough to win a very winnable game.

The elephant in the living room is the play of the defense which is absolutely nauseating to watch, pisses me off actually. You cannot build momentum if every hard fought score is met by a track meet the other direction. It may truly be a long year. has been already, Peyton manning would struggle with this defense. Got to be near dead last.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:03 am

Hawktawk wrote:Gweno completed 35-44 for 325 yards and 2 TDs and a desperation heave pick at the end. .99 rating .

The team may el foldo but that was more offense than the entire night game. First 300 plus passing game as a Seahawk. Threw some beautiful passes despite poor protection once again.
Its old listening to people hammer on Geno. You're the QB, fine, it comes with the territory.
Geno played well enough to win the game on most football teams. It wasn't surprising the run game was better and so Geno was much better. Hes hardly been the biggest problem. Our last drive we were screwed by quick tacky tack flags again robbing us of big plays. Coach chose to kick on 4th and 2 from the 8 after going on 4th and 2 from the 42 on the same drive. Who knows, its a broken record. its not enough to win a very winnable game.

The elephant in the living room is the play of the defense which is absolutely nauseating to watch, pisses me off actually. You cannot build momentum if every hard fought score is met by a track meet the other direction. It may truly be a long year. has been already, Peyton manning would struggle with this defense. Got to be near dead last.

What's old is listening to you trumpet Geno's stats. He's 1-2 as a starter this season, exactly what he was last season. Project that win one/lose two ratio over a 17 game season and you come up with 5-6 wins, exactly what we've been forecasted. And as far as his playing well enough to win the game, you can say that about a lot of horrid QB performances, like Jimmy G. The fact is that he had a chance to win the game in the 4th quarter and didn't.

I don't blame Pete at all for kicking a FG on 4th and 2. We haven't had great success in short yardage situations, 4th and 2 is a yard beyond QB sneak range, and a near automatic FG puts us within a touchdown of taking the lead in the 4th quarter. It's not comparable to his decision to go for it on the 42 as that's sort of no man's territory, too long for a FG and a punt only nets you 20-30 yards in field position. Neither decision was a slam dunk, certainly not on the scale of some of the game management decisions we've witnessed recently.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:10 am

Geno is pretty much what you expect from a quality backup. If your team around him isn't good enough to keep an opponent to under 20 points or so, you're going to lose a lot of games. You saw why Geno isn't a franchise QB when he tried to step it up and win in the fourth quarter. He just doesn't have that ability to elevate and close out a drive like the franchise Qbs do. If your behind and you're relying on Geno to win the game for you, you're going to lose more often than not. His production also stays in a sort of middling range and very few defenses fear their ability to pass so they just stack for the run, then occasionally focus on pass defense to shut them down.

Today Geno was playing against a backup, not a franchise QB. Marcus Mariota is basically Geno. Lots of up and down play and usually can't close out games.

With our defense as bad as they are right now, we're not able to win with a Geno type of QB. Atlanta's defense basically beat us. That's damn sad for a defensive guru head coach.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:26 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:Geno is pretty much what you expect from a quality backup. If your team around him isn't good enough to keep an opponent to under 20 points or so, you're going to lose a lot of games. You saw why Geno isn't a franchise QB when he tried to step it up and win in the fourth quarter. He just doesn't have that ability to elevate and close out a drive like the franchise Qbs do. If your behind and you're relying on Geno to win the game for you, you're going to lose more often than not. His production also stays in a sort of middling range and very few defenses fear their ability to pass so they just stack for the run, then occasionally focus on pass defense to shut them down.

Today Geno was playing against a backup, not a franchise QB. Marcus Mariota is basically Geno. Lots of up and down play and usually can't close out games.

With our defense as bad as they are right now, we're not able to win with a Geno type of QB. Atlanta's defense basically beat us. That's damn sad for a defensive guru head coach.

Exactly. Last year, I found a stat that showed that backup quarterbacks win 34% of the games they start, or one out of every three games. That's exactly what Geno did last season and it's what he's done this season. He is playing exactly as one would expect: No better, no worse. He is by definition an average backup quarterback.

This defense sucks. The most embarrassing part of yesterday was at the end of the game when Atlanta needed one first down to ice the game and go into their victory formation. We knew that they were going to run the ball, yet they make a first down with ease, not even using all 3 downs.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:09 am

Again . Geno isn’t the problem . He’s not dynamic enough to carry the team but he was the # 4 passer in the league yesterday . He’s just a favorite target for most on this forum . Most pundits gave him a decent grade on the performance . QBs get too much credit when they win and too much blame when we lose with the #4 qb performance in the league .

He was the better qb on the field in every statistical category except rushing . It’s a dreadful defense that’s the biggest problem by far with situational offensive play calling a close second . Ok 1-2 bring on Detroit . Soon to be 1-3 if we can’t stop anyone and I mean anyone .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:12 am

I said a while ago that teams like ours win some they would expect to lose and lose some they would expect to win. We're right on schedule.

What is it with this regime and the Lines of Scrimmage?
Regarding the DL, I'm at a loss for what PC/JS see when looking for players along the LoS.
We finally seem to be getting the OL moving in the right direction and the DL is a shambles.
How many good players have we drafted along the DL? I can only think of Jarran Reed and Frank Clark. The others that have produced have been FA's or trades.
We then traded away Clark and just cut Reed. Maybe this draft will focus on the DL because our current group doesn't look like it's going to be the answer long term.
Perhaps it's a matter of a wrong fit for the 3-4 scheme we are using more often. I'm hoping it's just a learning phase for the players but so far they don't seem to get it.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:14 am

Hawktawk wrote:Again . Geno isn’t the problem . He’s not dynamic enough to carry the team but he was the # 4 passer in the league yesterday . He’s just a favorite target for most on this forum . Most pundits gave him a decent grade on the performance . QBs get too much credit when they win and too much blame when we lose with the #4 qb performance in the league .

He was the better qb on the field in every statistical category except rushing . It’s a dreadful defense that’s the biggest problem by far with situational offensive play calling a close second . Ok 1-2 bring on Detroit . Soon to be 1-3 if we can’t stop anyone and I mean anyone .

Good QBs can drag their team to a higher level on a regular basis.
Geno can't. Just look at how Wilson took it into his own hands and produced when they needed it. That's what top QBs do and Geno doesn't.
It's that simple.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:38 am

Hawktawk wrote: He’s just a favorite target for most on this forum .

The only reason he is really mentioned anymore is somebody responding to you. Almost all of us feel like he is performing close to how we thought he would, if not slightly better. The NFL has turned into a league where most games are won or lost in the 4th quarter. Good QBs elevate their teams to a win more often than not. Geno isn't that guy. I do agree that our defense is a huge problem. I was hoping we would draft early to get our next franchise QB but maybe we should looking at a dominant DE/DT, because our defense is that bad. Here's to continuing to hope the Broncos lose! I'm almost close to hoping we lose as well. Our defense is terrible.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:20 am

Hawktawk wrote:Again . Geno isn’t the problem . He’s not dynamic enough to carry the team but he was the # 4 passer in the league yesterday . He’s just a favorite target for most on this forum . Most pundits gave him a decent grade on the performance . QBs get too much credit when they win and too much blame when we lose with the #4 qb performance in the league .

Geno might not be the biggest problem on the team, but he's still part of the overall problem and thus fair game for any criticism. Same goes for Pete.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:29 am

NorthHawk wrote:

Good QBs can drag their team to a higher level on a regular basis .
Geno can't. Just look at how Wilson took it into his own hands and produced when they needed it. That's what top QBs do and Geno doesn't.
It's that simple.

Oh Jesus h. Are you serious ? Wilson had 8 3 and outs . The margin was Jimmy stepping out of the endzone .

With our defense he’s 0-3 with a bullet . With either defense Geno is likely 3-0 . We got 3 second half posessions . Other than sacks and kneel downs Atl didn’t have a negative play all day . Kinda tough to stay in rythm from the bench . We really need a Sean Desai and Clint big talk no game Hurrt .

Russ just had his first game winning drive in well over a season. He was 0-3 here last year , got shut out , had the worst 3rd down completion # in the league most of last year so last night was not too surprising . Geno played twice the game he did by far . Geno may not be the answer but neither was Russ . Here’s hoping for Denver 2-15 .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:45 am

When they needed it he got it done.
Geno? Not so much.
That's the difference. Same thing with Rodgers, Brady, Mahomes, and now Allen and even perhaps Tua in Miami but they have a shorter record of success.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:29 am

Hawktawk wrote: He’s just a favorite target for most on this forum .

mykc14 wrote:The only reason he is really mentioned anymore is somebody responding to you. Almost all of us feel like he is performing close to how we thought he would, if not slightly better. The NFL has turned into a league where most games are won or lost in the 4th quarter. Good QBs elevate their teams to a win more often than not. Geno isn't that guy. I do agree that our defense is a huge problem. I was hoping we would draft early to get our next franchise QB but maybe we should looking at a dominant DE/DT, because our defense is that bad. Here's to continuing to hope the Broncos lose! I'm almost close to hoping we lose as well. Our defense is terrible.

Hawktawk, my friend, mykc speaks the truth. Geno is not a 'target', he's the subject of the thread that you created. If you don't want to hear criticism of him, then start a topic about Pete or the defense and quit posting stats and making comments about Geno and how he's not the problem as all you're doing is inviting people to say negative things about him.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:54 am

Geno was a SB Nation “ stud “ for Seattle yesterday . He’s played well for the overwhelming most part . The pundits are squarely with me this week . Maybe you all should admit the guy who scored the most against Denver by far is a starter . He looked quite a bit better against them than Jimmy G .

He’s not been the problem . So whatever you argumentative Geno haters . 325 with 2 touches he still sucks unless he can carry a team with no defense . If he throws 4 he will get no credit from you but you’re the only ones . You just like to argue
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:04 am

Hawktawk wrote:Geno was a SB Nation “ stud “ for Seattle yesterday . He’s played well for the overwhelming most part . The pundits are squarely with me this week . Maybe you all should admit the guy who scored the most against Denver by far is a starter . He looked quite a bit better against them than Jimmy G .

He’s not been the problem . So whatever you argumentative Geno haters . 325 with 2 touches he still sucks unless he can carry a team with no defense . If he throws 4 he will get no credit from you but you’re the only ones . You just like to argue

I am on Kaiser, most people either love them or hate them, I am neither one. I neither love Geno nor hate him, he is a good, not great backup, he can win 3 outta 5 games IF your starter goes down. The nightmare scenario is next week when lose to the Lions, they will put Lock in and he is a turnover machine. GS's numbers were not that bad, the defense is warmed over garbage! BTW, I am really sorry about your Birthday, mine is Oct 17th during FB Season I've been there! The Hawks will have better days, just not this year!
obiken
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:24 am

Hawktawk wrote:Geno was a SB Nation “ stud “ for Seattle yesterday . He’s played well for the overwhelming most part . The pundits are squarely with me this week . Maybe you all should admit the guy who scored the most against Denver by far is a starter . He looked quite a bit better against them than Jimmy G .

We all want Geno to be the best quarterback in the league, don't you get that? We want him to be the guy, we just don't think he is. What I don't get is why you defend him like he is your child? You think he is a quality starter in the league, most of us don't. Who cares? Think about the amount of time and mental effort you have put forth trying to prove this. Who cares? No amount of stats that you throw at us are going to make us change our minds. We watch the games, we see what we see. Who cares if he scored more points against Denver than Jimmy G? What does that prove? Jimmy G and the Niners were on the road and scored 10 while we were at home and scored 17. So what? The niners beat us by 20 points last week but Geno had 70% completion. My question is why do you care so much? I mean I will go to bat to defend Dave Krieg any day of the week but at least he played for 10 plus years for the Hawks and won us some playoff games- Geno hasn't done anything for us except lead us to a 2-4 record as a starter.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:16 pm

We all want Geno to be the best quarterback in the league, don't you get that? We want him to be the guy, we just don't think he is. What I don't get is why you defend him like he is your child? You think he is a quality starter in the league, most of us don't. Who cares? Think about the amount of time and mental effort you have put forth trying to prove this. Who cares? No amount of stats that you throw at us are going to make us change our minds. We watch the games, we see what we see. Who cares if he scored more points against Denver than Jimmy G? What does that prove? Jimmy G and the Niners were on the road and scored 10 while we were at home and scored 17. So what? The niners beat us by 20 points last week but Geno had 70% completion. My question is why do you care so much? I mean I will go to bat to defend Dave Krieg any day of the week but at least he played for 10 plus years for the Hawks and won us some playoff games- Geno hasn't done anything for us except lead us to a 2-4 record as a starter.[/quote]

Why do you care so much about being right that Geno is some second rate backup . He’s currently leading the NFL in completion % at 77.5, 5 points ahead of Matt Stafford . He’s got a qbr of over 100 for the year . He’s a competent NFL starter in the top 10 or better in every personal statistical category . He played twice as well as Jimmy G who everyone wanted who got stuffed by a team Geno moved the ball on pretty well in Denver . He can’t do it all . I defend facts . I defend stats. Our defense is why we are where we are . 23 points in 8 drives is elite production . Giving up 27 on D and that with the offense moving enough chains to win time of possession was elite bad . they still couldn’t stop a god damn thing . But keep at it . Seems like you can’t wait to get on the forum and blame Geno for everything. He was NOT the problem yesterday .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:08 pm

Defense is not currently good enough to win with Geno.

I'm going to wait before I really start in, but as I see it the Geno we see right now we'll be the Geno we'll get all year. Solid stats during the games. Conservative offense. And no ability to elevate his game to make game winning drives.

I'm betting Russell and Denver will get better as the year goes on and he gets more comfortable operating in the new offensive system and his receivers get better at timing and catching. Denver's defense is good enough to keep them in tight games as the offense improves, but the Seattle defense is not good enough to do that with Geno.

We'll see where we are by game 8, but I'll be surprised if we're not losing more and Denver's not winning more as the two teams move in opposite direction and that opening win against Denver looks like nothing more than a Pyrrhic Victory.
Last edited by Aseahawkfan on Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:14 pm

Hawktawk wrote:
Why do you care so much about being right that Geno is some second rate backup . He’s currently leading the NFL in completion % at 77.5, 5 points ahead of Matt Stafford . He’s got a qbr of over 100 for the year . He’s a competent NFL starter in the top 10 or better in every personal statistical category . He played twice as well as Jimmy G who everyone wanted who got stuffed by a team Geno moved the ball on pretty well in Denver . He can’t do it all . I defend facts . I defend stats. Our defense is why we are where we are . 23 points in 8 drives is elite production . Giving up 27 on D and that with the offense moving enough chains to win time of possession was elite bad . they still couldn’t stop a god damn thing . But keep at it . Seems like you can’t wait to get on the forum and blame Geno for everything. He was NOT the problem yesterday .

I don't care about him being a backup- like I said I want him to be the best QB in the league. You are the one who brings him up every opportunity that you get- even when it doesn't make any sense. You make false equivalent statements comparing this game to that game and make connections that do not exist. I don't know what you are talking about. I don't want to blame him for losses. I don't think anybody is blaming him for yesterday's loss. Our defense is terrible. I have said that multiple times. I just don't think Geno is the guy who can win a close one at the end, like a quality starting QB- that's my opinion. I don't care if it is proven to be wrong, actually I hope I am wrong. I want him to be great. The only thing that is going to change my mind about him being the guy is for him to perform in clutch time and WIN US SOME GAMES and then I will put him in the quality starter category. That's what you fail to understand. You realize nobody was on here complaining about Geno yesterday, yet you continue to bring his name into the conversation... you are the one who obsessively wants to compare him to RW and all of these other QB's. RW has the track record, Geno doesn't. Win us some games!!
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:09 pm

I came on this thread to straight up criticism of Genos “ clutch” fail . Most media gives him credit for a good game and 4th best ypg with some absolutely beautiful throws , 2 huge penalties on Lewis including late on a big play . Pretty sketchy call too . No dink and dunk there .
Listened to a little Wyman and Bob a bit ago . Wyman was disgusted at the thought of Geno as our qb in the off-season , the dui was a factor . He said today “ I think he’s got a higher upside “. He’s not a star but he could be at or near the top of “ the next bunch of guys “. Bob thinks he’s Tavares .

But Wyman played 12 years and defending Geno with this ignorant blind fan base isn’t some fan boy position . Wyman thinks he can be a good NFL starter . So I got that going for my delusion .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:24 am

Back in 2020 (I think) he also said that we would have a very good pass rush and Defense with Irvin and Mayowa as starting DE's.
We went on to start the year on a record pace for ineptitude the first handful of games before getting Dunlap.
Just sayin...
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:21 am

Yeah, you have to be careful of putting too much weight in what these local guys say. One of their jobs is to generate enthusiasm, and you don't do that by airing critical opinions of our coaches and players.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:39 am

Geno is currently 10th in the league in qbr despite facing 2 filthy defenses . Former guy is 21 . It’s all over the net . It’s early. But Geno is a legit starter caliber Qb right now .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:30 am

Two filthy defenses? Where did you get that from?
The Broncos were not ready on either side of the ball against us and the Falcons aren't much better than us on Defense either, so it leaves the 49ers as a potential "Filthy" Defense.
None of the teams Defenses we have faced have been running on all cylinders. They've all been figuring out how to play with each other again and adjusting to new players and wrinkles.
Games 4 or 5 and onward are when teams really start putting it together.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:35 pm

NorthHawk wrote:Two filthy defenses? Where did you get that from?
The Broncos were not ready on either side of the ball against us and the Falcons aren't much better than us on Defense either, so it leaves the 49ers as a potential "Filthy" Defense.
None of the teams Defenses we have faced have been running on all cylinders. They've all been figuring out how to play with each other again and adjusting to new players and wrinkles.
Games 4 or 5 and onward are when teams really start putting it together.

Denver is giving up 12.1 ppg. Their performance keeping Denver in the game while 50 million played like crap for 58 minutes with 8 3 and outs was remarkable .

You just refuse to give Geno credit . He would win 12 games with that defense . There’s only so many metrics to judge a qb . Winning is one . Denver’s 2-1 because of Seattle and Geno was the main reason on offense . 9ers and Falcons we all saw the games . If you can’t play defense at all you have little chance .

Geno smith is our starter and playing like one . We will learn more going forward but he has a track record that’s becoming hard to deny .

As for Wyman I’ll say it once more . Defending Geno , especially as a vocal critic of him in the summer as Wyman definitely was is no fan boy position . The man played 12 years . If I can clearly see Geno is a very competent pro qb it’s not surprising Dave would see it too and swallow his pride . Some others should .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:01 pm

Hawktawk wrote:
Denver is giving up 12.1 ppg. Their performance keeping Denver in the game while 50 million played like crap for 58 minutes with 8 3 and outs was remarkable .

You just refuse to give Geno credit . He would win 12 games with that defense . There’s only so many metrics to judge a qb . Winning is one . Denver’s 2-1 because of Seattle and Geno was the main reason on offense . 9ers and Falcons we all saw the games . If you can’t play defense at all you have little chance .

Geno smith is our starter and playing like one . We will learn more going forward but he has a track record that’s becoming hard to deny .

As for Wyman I’ll say it once more . Defending Geno , especially as a vocal critic of him in the summer as Wyman definitely was is no fan boy position . The man played 12 years . If I can clearly see Geno is a very competent pro qb it’s not surprising Dave would see it too and swallow his pride . Some others should .

I don't know for sure how good or bad Denver's D is yet, but it really does look like they have played some pretty bad offenses so far. Seattle, Texans, and San Fran are three offenses who don't look good right now.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:10 pm

Hawktawk wrote:

mykc14 wrote:I don't know for sure how good or bad Denver's D is yet, but it really does look like they have played some pretty bad offenses so far. Seattle, Texans, and San Fran are three offenses who don't look good right now.

FYI the Niners are ranked 24th in total offense, the Seahawks 28th, and the Texans 29th, so at least by that measure, the Broncos haven't faced a quality offense that's clicking right now.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:41 pm

I get that but 3 weeks in the defenses have made the offenses what they were . The 9ers look like the cream of the crop but Denver looks better every game . Their qb really has played like crap and they have kept him in games .
. Denver shut down an offense that scored 27 on us and say what you will an offense and that played in the NFC title game last year got humiliated . Those will be great defenses all year . We’ve faced 2 great defenses in 3 games and we got a normal one and our offense looked good . And we would have cruised if we had half the defense of the 9ers or donkeys .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:38 pm

Hawktawk wrote:I get that but 3 weeks in the defenses have made the offenses what they were . The 9ers look like the cream of the crop but Denver looks better every game . Their qb really has played like crap and they have kept him in games .
. Denver shut down an offense that scored 27 on us and say what you will an offense and that played in the NFC title game last year got humiliated . Those will be great defenses all year . We’ve faced 2 great defenses in 3 games and we got a normal one and our offense looked good . And we would have cruised if we had half the defense of the 9ers or donkeys .

I've watched two complete Denver games and two complete Niners games. IMO Denver's defense isn't top 10, or anywhere close. Although it's early and a lot of things can change, they don't look like a playoff quality defense at this point of the season, and certainly not worthy of being called 'filthy'.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:40 am

I saw Denver start to improve on both sides of the ball against the 49ers.
I put too much stock in their having good talent on their team but all of their coaches are young and have limited experience.
As the coaches learn and the players figure out how the small changes are implemented, they will get better. I hope they don't, but realistically they will.
Like most seasons, games 4 or 5 is when we will really see the teams start to separate themselves between the contenders and also rans.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:19 am

NorthHawk wrote:Like most seasons, games 4 or 5 is when we will really see the teams start to separate themselves between the contenders and also rans.

As a rule, I tend to agree. But this season might be different. After three games, we have just two teams that are undefeated, and both were just 9-8 last season. There's only one team that is 0-3. In Week 3 of 2021, there were five teams that were 3-0 and five that were 0-3. The defending AFC champ is 1-2. Jacksonville and the Giants have surprised some folks. Are they for real? The team that was everybody's favorite, Buffalo, lost last weekend. Tom Brady and the Bucs looked awful last Sunday. Is it the beginning of the end for the GOAT?

This season, it could take until Week 6 or 7 before things start to shake out.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:07 am

Possibly take to week 6 or 7, but I think we will see some trends by week 5.
The outliers are teams like the Jaguars - will they come back to earth or is the talent on that team now just being properly focused?
Are the Raiders as bad as their record and what's going to happen to the Chargers? In our division, we should know if the Rams are
for real and if the 49ers can really get untracked on Offense. Or whether the Packers can take that step forward without Adams.
I think by the end of this or next week we will see which teams are for real and which ones aren't but still probably dangerous to play.
But maybe you are right and it will take an extra week to really see who's who.
NorthHawk
Legacy

PreviousNext

Return to Seahawks Forum