Fool's Gold.....

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Fool's Gold.....

Postby curmudgeon » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:29 pm

Best of the worst. Don't be tricked by the illusion. Make no mistake, this team will be one and done in the playoffs........
curmudgeon
Legacy

Re: Fool's Gold.....

Postby Oly » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:42 pm

curmudgeon wrote:Best of the worst. Don't be tricked by the illusion. Make no mistake, this team will be one and done in the playoffs........

Agreed on the first, but not necessarily second. I give the Hawks a 50/50 shot in the first game, just because they're at home. But I think they have a snowball's chance in hell of winning a second game.
Oly
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:57 pm

Eh, they can beat Atlanta on the road, maybe, who knows? Ultimately, if the offense wakes up then Seattle is a dangerous team, if they continue to refuse to score TDs inside the redzone as they have done for the entire season, they are in trouble.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:40 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:Eh, they can beat Atlanta on the road, maybe, who knows? Ultimately, if the offense wakes up then Seattle is a dangerous team, if they continue to refuse to score TDs inside the redzone as they have done for the entire season, they are in trouble.

Too many holes Human this not the same Defense as it was before ET went out.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:36 am

It feels like the Hawks don't have it this year, but we aren't drafting 1st or 20th. We are in the tourney. I won't count us at until the clock is at zeros.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:38 am

And yet even with a truly anemic offense every single game minus one was winnable all season ( and that taking a truly magnificent poor showing by an offense incapable of executing basic, fundamental football plays from top to bottom).

The truth is, four weeks of good play by both the defense and the offense, puts them in position most fans would kill to be in. One month of disciplined football, that's it. I don't quit on my team until they're done, what others do, isn't my concern.

........ And PLEASE for the love of God Seattle, SIT Rawls, sit him.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:40 am

It will be the same result as last season: Barely win the first game then lose in the 2nd round.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:11 am

I have no clue. For the first 20 minutes yesterday I thought they looked like a one and done 9-7-1 stinking steamer. The next 30 they looked like a pretty good team. The last 10 they looked like a team coached by captain moonbeam.

Clueless in Moses Lake. They could flame out or win it all.
Every NFC team in the tournament is capable of advancing to the super bowl this year.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:30 am

Hawktawk wrote:I have no clue. For the first 20 minutes yesterday I thought they looked like a one and done 9-7-1 stinking steamer. The next 30 they looked like a pretty good team. The last 10 they looked like a team coached by captain moonbeam.

Clueless in Moses Lake. They could flame out or win it all.
Every NFC team in the tournament is capable of advancing to the super bowl this year.

I wouldn't bet on Detroit or us, and I'm not that impressed with Atlanta. The two most likely teams to upset the Cowboys are the Giants and Packers.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:02 pm

Well I reckon it's a good thing they still play the games then. Anyone thinking a team playing well at the end of the regular season can't lose one during the playoffs to one playing poorly towards the end, seems to have missed an awful lot of postseason games and outcomes.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:37 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:Well I reckon it's a good thing they still play the games then. Anyone thinking a team playing well at the end of the regular season can't lose one during the playoffs to one playing poorly towards the end, seems to have missed an awful lot of postseason games and outcomes.

Human there are pretenders and contenders, we are pretenders after losing to the Packers as bad as we did, I just don't see us going into Atlanta and beating them. Not without ET and this OL, plus they want revenge for the bad call on JJ. Dallas will beat Atlanta and Brady beats Dallas, another LT in Tommy's case. I think its a done deal.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:48 pm

What is the deal with Atlanta anyway? I have been batting that around in my mind all season. They have a great D minded coach and have a supercharged O. What gives?
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:00 pm

Same statements as you made ( or close enough for government the year Seattle played NE in the SB). I honestly could care less either way on the whole "quitting before you even see what can ( and sometimes DOES happen)" that's for you and others to do Obi, not my bag. Since you've done it for as long as I can remember, statements like that are like water of a duck's back.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:31 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:Same statements as you made ( or close enough for government the year Seattle played NE in the SB). I honestly could care less either way on the whole "quitting before you even see what can ( and sometimes DOES happen)" that's for you and others to do Obi, not my bag. Since you've done it for as long as I can remember, statements like that are like water of a duck's back.

And I get Human, i really do, and maybe that is a valid point, but sometimes I think you miss the difference between hope and belief. I will always have hope, but belief that is a different drill. As a Hawks fan I will always hope. I hope we get the good stuff that Trump professed, but believe him that is a whole different kettle of fish.
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:34 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:Well I reckon it's a good thing they still play the games then. Anyone thinking a team playing well at the end of the regular season can't lose one during the playoffs to one playing poorly towards the end, seems to have missed an awful lot of postseason games and outcomes.

With a couple of rare occasions where I had to work, I haven't missed a single Seahawks game because I was convinced they would lose, nor have I not watched games simply because I felt the outcome was a foregone conclusion. I am simply expressing my opinion on our chances, not telling others it's not worth watching because the outcome is predetermined.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:01 pm

There definitely is a different feel to this season.
Just...games here and there of some steadiness, with some real inexplicable games mixed in.

It's been a long season, and we miss ET and TL bigtime, but we do have a decent shot in this tourney.
Being #3 actually is looking pretty good. We are good enough to beat the Lions in our house. If that happens, a trip to Atlanta. I like that a whole lot more than having to play the G-men or GB right now.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:29 pm

And I get Human, i really do, and maybe that is a valid point, but sometimes I think you miss the difference between hope and belief. I will always have hope, but belief that is a different drill. As a Hawks fan I will always hope. I hope we get the good stuff that Trump professed, but believe him that is a whole different kettle of fish

Where in any of that am I discussing hope or belief? I'm discussing actual outcomes, actual success, actual championships from teams playing far worse than Seattle has this season. Any team not making off season plans currently can win a SB, and that includes Seattle.

This isn't anything other than football ultimately, and it doesn't matter if your teams the Browns or Pats or anywhere in between, any NFL team can indeed beat any other on any given day.... It's far more difficult for a team like Cleveland, than Seattle, but it's far from a certainty.

Simply no reason to write off the second most successful franchise the last five season because they don't look the way someone wants them to..
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:56 pm

I guess to solve this problem Human, I could start quoting odds. Hope vs expectations.

I said I expect us to beat Detroit at home, the rest, I have rely on hope.
obiken
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:12 pm

Teams that go deep in the playoffs are usually those that are both largely healthy and playing solidly in all phases.
We lost 2 core players that affect all 3 phases and haven't yet found our running game.
There's always hope, but the situations are working against us this year.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:29 pm

I tend to agree with a lot of you, in that you state it looks more difficult this year than before.

For me, this is the least confident I have felt since Wilson has been the QB. Something felt different the previous 4 years. Now that is not to say I don't think they can win it all, because I think they can.

They had an unbelievable run from the middle of Wilson's first year to the end of Super Bowl 49. Simply dominating.

It is not lost on me how dominating they were in that time, and just because now I feel less confident, it doesn't mean I feel they can't win it. Free agency, injuries, age, better intel on our players, these are all reasons for that drop off from before. They took a step back last year, albeit a small one, but it was a step back. And they were still close to going all the way.

I don't subscribe to the "Fool's Gold" sentiment, this team is in no way a pretender. They are a contender for sure, I just think they have come back to the pack a bit and lost their dominance the past 2 years. But make no mistake, there isn't a team out there that "wants" to play the Seattle Seahawks in the playoffs.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:57 pm

NorthHawk wrote:Teams that go deep in the playoffs are usually those that are both largely healthy and playing solidly in all phases.
We lost 2 core players that affect all 3 phases and haven't yet found our running game.
There's always hope, but the situations are working against us this year.

Thats it in a nutshell.
obiken
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:10 pm

Whatever helps you guys deaden the pain if or when it comes. Not my cup of tea.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:47 am

Denver won last year with almost no offense. Obviously the shut down defense was a hug factor.
New England won a super bowl with so many injuries they had a receiver playing cornerback.
Giants last 2 titles came as a wild card playing every game on the road .

No excuses.
Seattle is the most experienced battle scarred and also most successful playoff team left in the NfC.
They can win it all.

They can lose Saturday too as they proved vs Arizona in a basically playoff game. They will have a tough time in Atlanta based on what I saw with a healthy Earl Thomas. If they get that I expect a home playoff game vs either Green Bay or New York. If they get to the biggest game they will win.

We shall see.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:36 am

The difference with Denver is they were mostly healthy on Defense and were on a major roll. As well their Special Teams were also near their best.
We've had some issues with snapping on ST and missed FG's/Extra points of late, so the comparison isn't valid.
If both our ST and Defense were dominating and healthy, I might agree, but it doesn't bode well.
But you're right, things could fall into place and we could win out the rest of the way. It's why the games are played.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:48 pm

Hawktawk wrote:Denver won last year with almost no offense. Obviously the shut down defense was a hug factor.
New England won a super bowl with so many injuries they had a receiver playing cornerback.
Giants last 2 titles came as a wild card playing every game on the road .

No excuses.
Seattle is the most experienced battle scarred and also most successful playoff team left in the NfC.
They can win it all.

They can lose Saturday too as they proved vs Arizona in a basically playoff game. They will have a tough time in Atlanta based on what I saw with a healthy Earl Thomas. If they get that I expect a home playoff game vs either Green Bay or New York. If they get to the biggest game they will win.

We shall see.

You can add in GB, Baltimore etc.... It isn't unheard of, or really even uncommon. It's not faith, belief or any other non tangible thing, it's history.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:15 pm

Ok lets be real. Without RW We are a mediocre football team, period. I had a departed friend who hung with John Robinson and John Madden. I asked Madden IF you were to start a FB team from scratch would you start on OL or DL? Without hesitation, he said OL. I said coach if you cant stop anybody they will run all over you, he replied if you cant block anybody your not going anywhere. All we have heard this year from Pete and in here is the OL is getting better, its not. IF the Packer game didn't showed that, then the Cards proved it to anyone but a mindless cheerleader.
Those magnificent men in their flying machines come crashing to the ground.
IF you really believe we can win then I would ask what is your evidence.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Rambo2014 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:48 pm

Arent the Lions the team you screwed out of a win last season with that batted ball out of the end zone that should have been a TD for the lions. Typical....

RW must be nervous with Golden Tate coming to town.
Rambo2014
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:24 pm

Rambo2014 wrote:Arent the Lions the team you screwed out of a win last season with that batted ball out of the end zone that should have been a TD for the lions. Typical....

And shouldn't you be scouting the draft right now, and convincing yourself you're only one player away from actually pulling for your team in the playoffs for the first time in almost two decades?

That said, enjoy this little tidbit....

101: Points the Rose Bowl teams scored Monday
89: Points the Rams scored in Los Angeles in their first season back

(h/t Arash Markazi)
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:29 pm

obiken wrote:Ok lets be real. Without RW We are a mediocre football team, period. I had a departed friend who hung with John Robinson and John Madden. I asked Madden IF you were to start a FB team from scratch would you start on OL or DL? Without hesitation, he said OL. I said coach if you cant stop anybody they will run all over you, he replied if you cant block anybody your not going anywhere. All we have heard this year from Pete and in here is the OL is getting better, its not. IF the Packer game didn't showed that, then the Cards proved it to anyone but a mindless cheerleader.
Those magnificent men in their flying machines come crashing to the ground.
IF you really believe we can win then I would ask what is your evidence.

My evidence is 10 wins this season. I'm not calling a Seahawks win a certainty, and every team in the playoffs worries me, but I'm not counting the Seahawks out. I'll tell you someone else who isn't counting the Seahawks out: the Lions. I honestly would not be surprised at any outcome at this point.

Edit: There's no team in the league that isn't mediocre without their franchise QB, regardless of the talent on O-line. A team lives and dies by the QB position more so than any other.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:11 pm

Rambo2014 wrote:Arent the Lions the team you screwed out of a win last season with that batted ball out of the end zone that should have been a TD for the lions. Typical....

Well, one more idiotic assumption by someone that doesn't know football. Typical.

The correct call would not have been to credit the Lions with a touchdown. The correct call would have been to give the ball back to the Lions at the point of the fumble and the Hawks penalized half the distance. But the Lions would still have had to punched it in and then prevented the Hawks from scoring, so although it was a critical play with just under 2 minutes to go, it was not a game ender for either team.

But there was no advantage to be gained by tipping the ball out of the end zone vs. on falling on it or grabbing it and stepping out of the end zone, so the Lions would have been awarded the ball purely on a technicality. Indeed, our player (KJ?) did exactly as he was coached to do. But the refs did miss the call. They decided that KJ did not intend to bat the ball out of bounds, which he clearly did.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:57 pm

Ok lets be real.

Been nothing but, the entire time. I'm not using faith, belief or magic pixie dust, and haven't at any point. I've used actual examples, history, and knowledge. You're the one citing those unmeasurables, not I.

Any team, currently in the playoffs have a shot, it's not a complicated procedure, or voodoo, it's happened quite commonly, isn't new, and ultimately, if I have to choose between random teams that "looked better and less injuries" over the grizzled playoff experienced team that hasn't looked as good, and more injuries, I'm riding with the veterans all day long, until there is no more road available.

You're welcome to continue to hem and haw, dismiss and put down, I've seen far too many examples of experience trumping youthful exuberance in my life to dismiss it out of hand.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:57 pm

Been nothing but, the entire time. I'm not using faith, belief or magic pixie dust, and haven't at any point. I've used actual examples, history, and knowledge. You're the one citing those unmeasurables, not I.

Any team, currently in the playoffs have a shot, it's not a complicated procedure, or voodoo, it's happened quite commonly, isn't new, and ultimately, if I have to choose between random teams that "looked better and less injuries" over the grizzled playoff experienced team that hasn't looked as good, and more injuries, I'm riding with the veterans all day long, until there is no more road available.

You're welcome to continue to hem and haw, dismiss and put down, I've seen far too many examples of experience trumping youthful exuberance in my life to dismiss it out of hand.

I get where you are coming from Human and I always have. One question, the goal of this team was to win enough games and get a 1 round bye, we lost games that we should have won. Are we a better team this year than last year at this time, I will leave that to you. However, we all go down the schedule and check off games we think we should win. Sorry was season a failure? No, but was it a success up till now, No. Now it could be. However, we are not and never have been, road warriors. We are not the Giants of 2007. We beat the Lions at home if we play well, but then I have all kinds of hope, but no belief.
obiken
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:22 am

And won games we should have lost. To date I haven't heard a coach or a player claim a first round bye was a goal coming in to the season. Playoffs? Yes. Division champs? Yes. The two seed? No, with the exception of Sherman mentioning that they could win the two seed after the Carolina game, I honestly don't remember the seed being mentioned. I'm sure that the "goal" is always to win every single game, for every single team, but I'm not entirely sure that isn't a dream as opposed to a goal. The ONLY people I have routinely heard say that was a goal, was the fans.

Ultimately, any team can win, any given game day, I've never wavered on that, no matter which teams happened to take the field, and that and the history of the NFL ( not just my insecurities, or confidence about Seattle) keeps me from writing of my team.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:45 pm

Interesting little tidbit. Seattle holds the second best record against playoff teams of the twelve teams currently in the postseason ( 3-1)... Behind NE. Go figure.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum